Thursday 24 October 2013

Crochet Arm Warmers

This week I was determined to have a go at crocheting some arm warmers with some kinda shell stitch, so without a pattern and my trusty Handbook of Crochet Stitches I set to work using this lovely Rowan Tweed Aran that I've had in my stash for quite some time now and I figured 50g would do the job, but oh how wrong I was, half way through the second arm warmer my yarn ran out, isn't this just the most frustrating thing ever??!, but did that stop her? NO NO NO! for she 'cried ooh and whoop and wheee come and see oh ha-ha-hee' she's having fun delving in her stash to see what other goodies she can find oh ha-ha-hee (oh Tony Milton I blame your brilliant book  'Down by the Cool of the pool').  So yes she, who was me found some lovely Twilleys Freedom Wool, oh boy and how I love this stuff. I used it a great deal when I  started crocheting, it is super soft and thick and I love the depth and lushness of this lovely Icelandic wool.





 
Once I had figured out just what I needed to do with the first attempt of working with Tweed, it was plain sailing and actually quite an easy pair of 'mitts' to throw together. I worked the second pair a little longer in the arms, because I prefer them to be both hand and arm warmers and I also think they look rather trendy a wee bit longer. This wool worked up a dream and I love how it shows the shape and pattern of this beautiful close scallop stitch.


This is the finished arm warmer in Tweed, it is really lovely and thick and I am sure it will be super cosy to wear in the colder months, but my favourite by far is the Twilleys, not just because I absolutely love the colour, but because I love the texture and definition of the stitch.


 


 

I am super happy with how they have turned out and I will be making a few more of these for my stall at the end of November. Joining in today with Marianne from Ladybird Diaries and Chrissie from Chrissie Craft for the weekly CAL. Wishing you all a very happy and creative week.

Warm Wishes
Hannapat
xoxo
 
 
 

32 comments:

  1. They are gorgeous and I bet they are so warm too. I am not able to follow a crocheting pattern no matter how hard I try. I think I probably need to go to a class or something, it just baffles me as I try to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me giggle as I think I am a little the same. I often think it is just because I like doing what I want to do rather than what the pattern tells me, but maybe it is just because it is gibberish half of the time :-) xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh they look really cosy and warm! I need to make something cosy and warm for my hands, as I think its going to be very cold this winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yip they reckon it is going to be a super chilly winter, so I reckon we will all need to have our warms bit ready very soon! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hello lovely Hannapat! I just adore your arm warmers they are gorgeous. They look so soft, cosy and warm...and very very stylish too. Hope you are having a nice week!
    Marianne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne, they most certainly are very soft and thick, so I think perfect for a cold winter. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Hi Hannapat, I absolutely love your armwarmers, the tweed are lovely but I'm with you, my favorite are the Twilleys, the stitch definition is gorgeous. The picnic blanket on your header was my first crochet project and I still love it as much as when I first made it. Enjoy the rest of the week. Deb x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow how inspiring that the blanket was your first project. I would love to see it one day! xo

      Delete
  5. oh they are lovely, very snug. I think i would have to make little thumb warmers to because my thumbs get cold!! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, yes a little thumb pocket wont go a miss, maybe that's something I still need to figure out. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Your hands look very cozy! I love the pattern - it's crazy how much yarn a shell pattern eats up, I found the same when making that baby blanket over the summer. Good save with the other yarn! I need to check out this Twilley stuff... Chrissie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, even though I have worked a few shell stitches, it just didn't occur to me, but now I will be better prepared next time. You sure do need to check it out, it is lush! xo

      Delete
  7. Looking brilliant. Look so snuggley! Really lovely design. The colours lovely they should go with anything. Thank you so much for your lovely comment x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie and thank you also for your lovely comment xoxo

      Delete
  8. Oh, they look so pretty and cozy! Love the color, too! Wishing you a sweet day dearest! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hannapat these are just stunning - you are so clever and I adore the colours. Have a wonderful weekend Hannapat - sadly shall miss the Treacle Fair on Sunday as the little peeps are coming to stay and I have to pick them up - hope to catch up soon though, can't wait to meet up with you. Big hugs to you Hannapat
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, well we will get there one day wont we! xoxo

      Delete
  10. You've done a fab job with them Hannapat - how clever you are - I love the shell pattern and the lovely soft yarn you used, and I really enjoyed your poetic outburst too, so light-hearted and happ-happ-happy!
    Have a great weekend lovely!
    Warm hugs, Joy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it wonderful when you are able to create something without a pattern? I just always feel so good when I am able to do this and I'm sure you do too. The mitts look very warm and cosy. I've never used any myself but they seem to be quite popular. I may give them a try some time. Enjoy your weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very creative of you to just whip those up. They turned out super. I'm sure others will love them as well. blessings,
    Beca

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute are these!!?? I feel very privileged to have my very own pair of C&C mittens too. I'm dreaming of the days when it will be cold enough to wear them. I've had a bit of a rough week here, heart stuff & just feeling "ME-ish" in general. I hope your week is going okay? Much love. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks so great! Will definitely keep your hands nice and warm. Lovely colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are brilliant... well done. The ones in MM are knitted, do you knit? I'm not sure I've seen any knitting on your blog. Anyway, have a lovely weekend. It's hubbies birthday today and we are going to Manchester. it's raining so he will no doubt be swanning around in his new scarf! I asked him if he wanted matching mittens (I'm not advanced enough in crochet for gloves) and he said a big fat no!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are both just gorgeous! 'n Mens kan altyd 'n plan maak ;-) Well done. I'm sure these will be very popular at your stall. Have fun making more. Lekker naweek skattie,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh they are gorgeous and the icy tones of the twilleys is divine, no wonder you are please with them. Have a great weekend
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! They are lovely! And no ways would I be able to do that without a pattern! Mind you, perhaps not even with a pattern,haha. The colour is divine. The pale grey one. Shows up the lovely shell pattern. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look so warm and soft. I love the stitch pattern too. Enjoy them this winter, they look just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh these are just gorgeous! Well done. I love the shell pattern on them and haven't seen that done on wrist warmers before, looks great :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so lovely and snuggly looking! They are sure to be a huge hit on your stall xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you to everyone for all your lovely comments on my arm warmers!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fabulous idea Hannapat! These will definitely come in handy this winter. I too think it is going to be a cold one.

    ReplyDelete